Students have the option of selecting their roommate(s) or receiving a random roommate. If you would like to find a roommate, there are a number of ways to do it; social media, during an on campus visit, or by using the Residence Life roommate search program. The program is inside the housing portal, My UAHome, as part of your housing application. All students will fill out the profile and questionnaire, even if you don’t want to use the Roommate Search function. Then it is up to you if you want to reach out to others through the system. You will have to request your roommate through the system and your roommate must accept in order for the system to allow it.
|March 1||Roommate Search opens in your housing application|
|Mid-May||Roommates must be selected and mutually approved BEFORE you pick a room|
|July 1||Roommate Search closes at end of day|
- If you already know who you want as your roommate, you will need to know each others' housing portal "screen names" in order to submit a roommate request.
- If you want to find a roommate, you will be able to use the roommate search tools to find others with whom you might be compatible and you can correspond with them directly through the housing portal.
- If you don’t want to choose your roommate, you will still need to fill out the profile and questionnaire.
- If you are a newly-admitted freshmen for next fall, you will receive an email inviting you to join the UA's private, online community exclusively for new Wildcats called “SchoolsApp.” It’s a great way to connect with your future classmates and one way to find potential roommate(s). If you have not received your invitation email, visit SchoolsApp.
- If you are in the Student Picks Group (applied by April 1), the first person to go into Room Selection will pull their roommate(s) into the room with them. You will need to look for a room that has enough open beds.
- If you are in the Housing Picks Group (applied after April 1) and have a roommate who is in the Student Picks Group (applied by April 1), your roommate will pull you into a hall and room when they go into Room Selection.
- If you are in the Houisng Picks Group (applied after April 1), we will try to accommodate your roommate request by placing you in a hall/room that will accommodate all roommates, based on availability.
Yes, the system will allow you to choose up to three (3) other roommates, for a total of four (4) people in your room.
No. About half our students request a roommate and half opt for a random roommate. Statistics show there is no difference in compatibility and happiness between the two options. It is up to you.
Once you know who are going to be rooming with, here are some things you might want to talk about before you arrive on campus:
- What items will you share and who will bring them (TV, Blu-ray/DVD player, microwave, video game system, etc.)?
- Do you want to purchase additional services and split the cost (bottled water, refrigerator rental, premium cable)?
- Do you have any dietary concerns you need to discuss before you arrive?
- Review the roommate agreement and discuss before you arrive on campus.